Wednesday, August 01, 2007

commercial radio is irritating

I spent most of today at work in an off road truck that actually has a radio and air conditioning (not a luxury afforded me by other trucks I've worked in so far). Skipping through the radio dial, I landed, and, for some reason, stayed, on 102.9, WMGK. Classic Rock. Ugh.

They played what I guess was a promo for whoever the morning guys are, and it was clip of them talking like this:

Guy 1: "Some politician in Florida wants the government to pardon Jim Morrison for urinating onstage 38 years ago."
Guy 2: "Somehow, I don't think Jim cares."
Guy 1: "They should put a referendum on the ballot in the fall, and let all the old people who live there try to figure out who Jim Morrison is."
Guys 1 and 2: "Hahaha, we are so funny, take that old people, etc. etc."

Hey, who are those old people living in Florida these days? Oh right, the people in the world who are actually old enough to have been there when the Doors were a band.

Nothing like a pair of 50 or 60 year old guys making fun of 70 or 80 year old people. I want to go off on a rant about how baby boomers are incredibly self-absorbed and self-congratulatory, but I decided that I need more and better examples (the stupid hoopla around the Sgt. Pepper's 40th anniversary was one), and I was somewhat restrained by the fact that 40 years from now, pompous jerks like me will be outraged at kids who don't know Radiohead. So for now, let's just be annoyed at those two guys, and I'll stick to NPR tomorrow.

No comments: