Friday, August 31, 2007

baseball awesome

If you didn't watch the Phillies game, you missed a doozy of a pickle. You can read the recap here, because I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that when Jayson Werth got on base in the 9th inning representing the tying run, I immediately had a flashback to September 6, 2005, when the Astros won a game in the 9th inning by using a pinch runner, who stole both 2nd and 3rd off of Billy Wagner (then wearing a Phillies uniform), who ultimately took the loss, and gave up three stolen bases in a single inning. The Phillies lost the wild card spot by one game to the Astros (in other words, if Wagner could have held a baserunner, the Phillies might have made the playoffs).

Anyway, back to August 30, 2007, when Werth got on base, and Wagner (now in a Mets uniform) went into the stretch, and I jumped up and said, "Run, you fool! Wagner can't hold baserunners!" And off he went! Safe! "Go again! Take third!" I exclaimed at the TV set, and Werth bolted on first movement. Safe again!

Werth, of course, scored the tying run, and the Phillies won in probably the most exciting game they've played all year, but basically I just want to say that I communicated with Jayson Werth telepathically, and told him to steal those bases.

You're welcome, Philadelphia.

No comments: