Sunday, April 29, 2007

I don't see "movies," I see "films" uuugggggggghhh

So, I was reading a pair of articles in the Inquirer today about this year's summer movie season, and it looks like some of the surefire hits are Shrek the Third, Spiderman 3, another Pirates of the Caribbean movie, Ocean's Thirteen, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and, uh...

JESUS CHRIST CAN'T ANYBODY MAKE A MOVIE ABOUT SOMETHING WE HAVEN'T SEEN A MILLION TIMES ALREADY?

I know this is hardly a new complaint, but CHRIST. Let's keep the list going: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Evan Almighty, Life Free or Die Hard, Hairspray, The Simpsons Movie, The Bourne Ultamatum, Rush Hour 3, 28 Weeks Later, Hostel 2, Transformers.

See, this is why I never go to movies anymore. When tickets are $10+, you feel like you're taking a risk paying that much to see an unknown quantity. So what we end up with is movie after movie of crap that we've all seen before. Safe, predictable, boring, crap. This is the only kind of stuff that people will promote and spend money on anymore, and subsequently, this is the only kind stuff that people will go see.

I'm sure that a handful of those are probably perfectly pleasant and not terrible, and I'm sure that I'll eventually end up seeing a handful of them (I don't think I have any choice when it comes to The Simpsons). But it's still disappointing how little risk people are willing to take when it comes to making and promoting movies on a large scale.

Basically if you read that list, and realize that the majority of Americans won't see a movie this summer that isn't on that list, that's why I'm a movie snob.

No comments: