Wednesday, September 08, 2010

long time no blog

I kind of want to get the ol' blog started back up again.

I'm not entirely convinced that I have anything particularly interesting to say, but to be fair, I felt the same way back when I used to post on a regular basis. I guess the problem I'm having is that every time I feel a renewed energy toward writing, I come here, start a post, get about a paragraph and a half into a topic, then say to myself, "this is boring," and delete it. It's pretty similar to the way my songwriting process has been going for years now. However, I've gotten the songwriting process started up again to a modest degree, and if I can force myself to just plow through and finish things there, I can do it here, too.

With writing songs, I found the key was not to worry less about why I was writing, or what the point was, and more on the song itself. I've got a handful of completed songs now, some of them recorded in various stages of completion, but no real idea of what I'm going to do with them, and I'm ok with that. I'm not in a band right now (or at least nothing worth taking too seriously), and I don't see that changing soon, but even if few people will ever hear these songs, it feels good to have written them, and it is an important form of self-expression, a form of therapy. Even if I go out of my way to write impenetrable lyrics, they're still personal to me.

So maybe there's something comparable with this blog. I do like writing, when I have something to write about. Something about simply the feeling of my fingers flying rapidly across the keyboard is incredibly gratifying. Instead of worrying about whether or not I'm saying something "important," or how many people will read it, or if it will eventually lead to anything, I need to just get it, say my piece, and get out. I'll be happy I did.

I feel like there's something to be said for the blog format as well. I'm still not entirely comfortable with the word "blog" (although that issue was resolved for me by the general public years ago), but I still remain convinced that anything worth thinking about probably won't fit on Twitter or a Facebook status.

So, if you're reading this, you can hopefully look forward to seeing some things here soon. I still don't expect my blog to have a "theme" other than whatever I happen to be thinking about, even though these types of personal journals have mostly fallen by the wayside (I can't think of any that I check out on a regular basis). I'm thinking about dusting off and posting some journals that I wrote on a couple trips around the country. So maybe that first, I don't know.

No comments: