Thursday, April 17, 2008

sunshine 'n' water 'n' trees 'n' such

A couple months ago, I was sent down to Maryland to work with a pipe crew for a week when my other job was shut down to dry out (February is no good for construction). We were putting in a sewer line in a sort of village that's pretty typical of the area, a collection of houses bunched near the shore of the Chesapeake, a village in the sense that it's a group of homes that are all in the same area, but not in the sense that the homes sprung up around a central location for any reason other than that there's a large body of water nearby.

I knew the water was close by, but I didn't know how close (I figured within half a mile or so), and the first morning I was there it was extremely foggy, so I was lucky to be able to see the machine at the other end of the pipe I was standing next to. Then around noon, the fog cleared, and the sun came out, and holy shit, there was the beach 50 feet away from us, along with possibly the most beatiful waterfront landscape I've ever seen.

Anyway, I was just thinking about that, because one of the guys who was at that job got sent to mine today, and I was realizing that part of the reason I don't completely hate my job is because while a lot of people I know are staring at a computer screen in a cubicle, I'm outside enjoying the nice weather, and sometimes, nice scenery too. It was nice to not have to stare at nothing but dirt all day.

I was also thinking about the fact that the bay down there is one of the most tranquil and gorgeous places I've ever been, and I've lived most of my life 25 miles away from it, and I've been there something like three times in my entire life. I've been to Disney World that many times, and that's 1,000 miles away and also horrible. Christ.

Other random thought for today: I kind of think I'm going to listen to I Often Dream of Trains by Robyn Hitchcock every day for the next three months. It is a wonderful album and I have no idea how I lived for 24 years without it. Well... 23, it came out after I was born.

No comments: