Friday, March 30, 2007

Bjork, LCD Soundsystem, folksters

I am going insane not knowing what the new Bjork album sounds like.

Little things like this are not making me any less antsy:



I go through this every two or three years with Bjork, though, so, whatever.

In other news, I like the new LCD Soundsystem album, Sound of Silver, a lot more than the first one. It sounds more like an "album," if you know what I mean. And mp3s and iPods and ADD be damned, I still like albums. I got an mp3 player to listen to entire albums, not to put it on "shuffle." So whatever. I sound old and defensive and stupid. And I digress. I like Sound of Silver because it's way more consistent than the self-titled album, and it has fewer half-assed stabs at different genres (only one this time, "New York, I Love You but You're Bringing Me Down").

A lot of it sounds like Trans-Europe Express-era Kraftwerk and late-70s Bowie to me. And I have no problem with that.

And finally, there was an article in the Inquirer a couple days ago about this guy Joe Boyd, who produced pretty much all of my favorite artists from the 1960s that weren't Beatles, Beach Boys, or Zombies: Incredible String Band, Fairport Convention, Pink Floyd, Nico, Nick Drake, Vashti Bunyan (ok, that one was 1970, but close enough). And I guess later he produced R.E.M., but that's neither here nor there. He has written a book that he is signing in the Philadelphia area for a couple days this week. Or signed. I don't remember when it was. Also, if you get what that title is a reference to and actually like it, you're either as big a dork as me or you're at least 60 years old.

Anyway, the article mentioned that he was behind a lot of the British folk music that "has influenced nouveau freak-folk artists such as Johanna Newsome and Philadelphia's Espers."

Nevermind the use of that annoying term "freak-folk" or that Joanna Newsom and Espers have little in common other than use of mostly acoustic instruments (which, to be fair, could also be said of the Incredible String Band and Nick Drake). "Johanna Newsome?" Hooray for copy-editing.

No comments: