Monday, September 19, 2005

Espers tease Tom

As you may or may not know, Espers are one of my favorite new bands right now, along with Espers leader Greg Weeks' solo recordings. His solo stuff is its own thing, but I consider it all part of the same canon, I guess. And they're from Philadelphia, to boot!

Anyway, I started seeing references on Espers' record label's page to a recording called The Weed Tree, and I've been wondering what it could be for a few months now. Tonight, I decided to hit up my old pal Google and discovered the best possible news: The Weed Tree is, in fact, a new Espers album! New Espers! Only a year after their first album! and only eight months after the latest Greg Weeks album! What a wonderfully prolific man/group!

Then I started reading further on a couple of the sites I found... it's not a new Espers album. It's an album of cover songs. Oh, why do you mock me so?! An album of covers? When has a full album of covers ever been a good idea?

Oh well. They're apparently releasing this as something to tide the fans over (in other words, to make sure we don't forget about them) while they work on something new for 2006. So at least I still have that to look forward to. And a show on November 19th at the Khyber with none other than Gary Higgins! (More on him later.)

Life's not all bad in the world of Espers.

No comments: