Thursday, August 25, 2005

Are you ready for some football?

It's almost September, which can mean only one thing: my chronic case of Eagles Fever will soon be in full tilt. I'll begin counting down the days every week until Sunday (and sometimes Monday), I'll wake up in the morning with visions of Donovan McNabb completing screen passes that go for 50 yards to Brian Westbrook, and I'll read the sports page daily for reports of hamstring injuries and such in offensive linemen and anything else that might have the slightest effect on the outcomes of games. Will Corey Simon's continued absence leave the Eagles with no presence up the middle and let Michael Vick run wild in the season opener? (No, he's not really as good as the holdout and "franchise player" tag would suggest anyway.) Will Terrell Owens eventually just shut up and play? (Probably.) Oh, the suspense, the drama, the fun!

I was previously priding myself on being possibly the only person in Philadelphia with a blog who hasn't yet commented on Terrell Owens, but oh well.

All I'm saying right now is that I'm very pumped up for the season to start (only 18 days away!), and that if this season is anything like the last four or so, I'll be bleeding Midnight Green well into 2006. So with that said, here are my preseason notes that have probably been stated by a thousand other people already, but oh well:

- Going back to Corey Simon... who does he think he is? And who does he think he's dealing with? It boggles my mind that players still think it's a good idea to try to play chicken with the Eagles' management. They've never given in before, and they never will. If he wants a long term contract he should show up (in shape), and play well enough to earn one after this season.
- A few weeks ago, I was ready to banish Terrell Owens to Siberia, but he's come back to the team and there hasn't been an absurdly overinflated controversy yet, so let's give him a second chance. Or... possibly third. Whichever one we're up to now.
- Should we still be considering Correll Buckhalter to be an NFL running back? His job for three of the past four seasons (including this one) has been reduced more to "Professional Cheerleader." Will Dorsey Levens do us a favor and come out of retirement for a third time? Or is this dude Ryan Moats really the second coming of Brian Westbrook?
- What ever happened to Jon Ritchie?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ryan Moats will hit the bigtime this year. If you wanna be in my fantasy football league on nfl.com, let me knowwwwwww

Anonymous said...

Jon Ritchie is alive and i think hes healthy maybe.

andrew (from downstairs)

David Amulet said...

Sure, T.O. has not, in your words, had another "absurdly overinflated controversy yet." But I'd say the operative word there is "yet." His skill on the gridiron is only matched by his occasional lack of sense off the field. Even though I am in Redskins territory, I do hope Owens shows up, shuts up, and plays up to his awesome ability. -- d.a.

Tom said...

Well, you found the reason I said "yet" (because it does seem to be inevitable at this point), but still, did you see that preseason game tonight? It took T.O. a full 15 seconds to score a TD in his first game. You can't argue with results.

And you know, I wish all the best to Patrick Ramsey, Clinton Portis, and co. to the extent that Philadelphia law allows. Are the playoffs the goal this year? (Sorry if I'm sounding too smug, but you know... a Super Bowl berth will do that to people.)